LIBRARIES are a great way to get your sheltering-in-place reads, both ebook and audiobook. Read on for my easy 1-2-3 about how to check books out of your library, all from the comfort of your living room.
All of my EBOOKS and AUDIOBOOKS are available from OverDrive, one of the many services that works with libraries and allows readers to check out ebooks and audiobooks right from their ereader.
ALL MY BOOKS ARE AVAILABLE TO LIBRARIES IN ALL FORMATS… but there are over 9,000 public libraries in the US and they each choose individually which books they want to carry in their catalog. My books are available in hundreds of libraries across the globe (as far away as New Zealand).
1- Get Started!
Don’t know where your local library is? Click here to find the closest library (note: you will need a library card but many libraries are allowing you to apply online now! And you can check out ebooks and audiobooks WITHOUT going physically go to the library).
2 – Get set up with OverDrive.
- Check if your library has OVERDRIVE — sometimes the library will rename their ebook/audiobook checkout system. My library calls theirs “My Media Mall” but it’s still OverDrive. (OverDrive is a service that libraries subscribe to so their patrons can check out ebooks and audiobooks for FREE right from their ereaders.)
- Search your library’s OverDrive system to see if they have my books!
- MAKE A REQUEST IF THEY DON’T – All my books are available on Overdrive, but your library may have to request them to be added to their specific catalog.
3- Check Out eBooks and Audiobooks From Your Library’s OverDrive
This article explains it in depth, but there are two basic options:
- Read on your Kindle (downloads direct from Amazon)
- Read or listen on the OverDrive app on your iPhone or iPad or Android device.
Basically, you go to your library’s Overdrive catalog, check out an ebook or audiobook, and then tell it you want it delivered to your Kindle (which will route you through Amazon — very convenient!) or you want it delivered to your OverDrive app. PRESTO! You have free books.
A Quick Thank You From Sue
I know figuring out new ways of getting books can be tricky and somewhat intimidating — TRUST ME THIS IS WORTH IT. Not just for helping me get my books to new readers (but THANK YOU for that) but because you’ll access a whole new way to get books. I know a lot of readers are on limited budgets especially during this difficult time and they just can’t afford to buy all the ones they’d like to read–this is a HUGE way to make books available to readers at no cost while still supporting writers. It’s win all around!
Thanks for giving it a try!