Sideloading Ebooks – WHY?
If you’re an indie author, you will have occasions (giveaways, ARCs) where you want to send your ebook directly to an individual (click here to see how to format your own ebook files). Some people use Smashwords coupons or gift ebooks directly from B&N or Amazon, but there are serious advantages to sending direct:
1) There is no cost
2) Even Smashwords requires your winner/reviewer to have knowledge about sideloading ebooks. You might as well make it easy for them by sending it directly to their inbox.
3) You can include a message like this (I get a lot of newsletter subscriptions from these):
Hi!You won a copy of Open Minds from blog! Attached please find a copy of the Kindle version. I hope you’ll enjoy it! If you do, it would be great if you would write an honest review on Amazon. For writers trying to get the word out about their work, reviews are a tremendous help. The sequel, Closed Hearts, was just released. If you would like to receive updates about future releases, including Free Souls (Mindjack#3), you can subscribe to my author newsletter. I have a short prequel story to Open Minds called Mind Games. It’s available for FREE on Amazon!
All the Best,
Sideloading Ebooks – HOW?
Many people already know how to get files onto their devices, but if they don’t (or if you’re trying to help grandma figure it out), here’s some handy instructions you can include:
- Attach a USB cable between your Nook and your computer.
- Right-click on the attached file “My Book for Nook.epub” and select “Save-As”
- Your Nook should show up as an option on the left-hand-side of your “Save-As” dialogue box
- Double Click on your Nook icon to open the folder – look for MyFiles>Books
- Save the file “My Book for Nook.epub” in your “Books” folder on your nook
- When you are done saving, eject your Nook from your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting “eject”
- Make sure you have the iBookstore app installed on your iPad/iPhone.
- Open this email on your iPad/iPhone.
- Right-click on the attached file “My Book for iPad.epub” – you should have the option to “Open with iBookstore”
- You are done – the book should show up on the bookshelves of your iBookstore app.
- Find your “Kindle Email” address by going to Your Account>Manage my Kindle on your Amazon account.
- Click on “personal document settings” – you should see your kindle email address, something like firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make sure your regular email address is on the “approved personal document email list” listed below your kindle email address
- Send an email, with the attached file “My Book for Kindle.mobi” to your kindle email address.
- You are done – the book should show up on your kindle within 10 minutes (you must have WiFi turned on, so it can update).
More Tips N Tricks to come…
adult science fiction. Her latest release is